Saturday, April 7, 2007

My Day

Today I met my good friend Dean at Tradewinds, my favorite place to eat breakfast. We had a great talk and then we sat in my car and prayed after we ate. He paid for my meal. Thanks Dean! It was snowing like crazy. I bet we had 2-3 inches. I can't believe this. I kind of like it though. As I drove home I was listening to the book on tape, Night Probe by Clive Cussler. I was in our driveway and I thought I'd finish the chapter. So I turned off the car and sat there listening with my eyes closed. You guessed it, I fell asleep. Nancy came home and found me and thought I'd had a heart attack. She knocked on the window and I woke up. I'd been sleeping for over an hour!

Nancy and I played our favorite computer game, Text Twist. If they ever make this an Olympic event we would win a gold medal. Yes, we are that good.

Our water heater died today. Nancy discovered water in the basement. I called my friend Doug, because Doug can fix anything. He is such a generous person. He came right over and began to tell me how to fix it. He's so funny. My eyes glazed over. He said something about sawing through 2 pipes, and using a torch to solder...something. At some point I was to turn off the gas. I seem to remember something about tools being involved.

Usually at this point I would act like it was all coming back to me, thank him as he left, then go call a plumber. Doug has known me for a long time. He has to know how incompetent I am when it comes to plumbing, engines, home repairs, car maintenance, math, operating a hammer, finding my way home, personal hygiene, etc. I'll stop before I embarrass myself. So I think he was just messing with me.

We went to Lowes where we selected a lovely water heater for $322.94. Nancy and I had been hoping for an unexpected expense so we could get rid of some of the cash that had been piling up around the house.

Doug let me help him. It was my job to hold the bucket under the pipe that let the water out of the old water heater. I could tell that he was impressed by how little water I spilled, and how minor my burns were. I know I was.

He reminded me that Nancy and I were taking Caitlin out to eat and I should probably go get ready. When I protested he explained that some jobs go more quickly without help.

We took Caitlin to Hana Yori's for her 19th birthday. We sat with Nancy's dad, her sister Carol, and Kevin, Ryan, Rory, and Aly. We had a great time. The onion volcano never gets old.

We came home and played the game where we try to figure out what the thing used to be that Boo chewed up and left all over the living room floor. Nancy guessed a shoe, but I thought it looked more like a squirrel carcass. Either way, I took it outside and buried it underneath the Easter snow.

Now I'm going out to the car to get some sleep.

4 comments:

Kathy G. said...

This was a crazy ploy to get people to read your blog, but it worked! Sorry about the water heater - I see you have the same skill set as my husband. We got a dog at pet refuge too and I feel your pain.

http://www.becauserelationshipsmatter.net/2007/04/what_were_we_th.html

Your grandpa post was just too darn cute! Thanks Tom! Add the feature to your blog that allows people to subscribe via email, and it will be even better! I had to remind you to put a greeting on your cell phone - now this!

Tom Klopfenstein said...

There's a feature that allows people to subscribe? Can someone talk me through this? It took me 3 months to figure out how to put the greeting on my cell phone.

Dean said...

Tom,

I feel so honored to receive a mention in your Blog! Unfortunately now I am caught up in devising an ever escalating series of antics to ensure that I receive future mentions. I am just about done shaving your name into my head and once the snow is gone I start building the ramp so I can jump the bike over your house.

Dean

Tom Klopfenstein said...

Dean, buying me breakfast is all it takes!

Favorite Authors

  • Anne Lamott
  • Bill Bryson
  • C.S. Lewis
  • Mitch Albom
  • Neil Gaiman
  • Philip Yancy
  • Stephen Ambrose